Blog Listing Page
With Como you have the possibility to create unique blog listing pages. In the following tutorial we review how to set up your blog listing page.
Add Blog Listings Page
Step 1 – Check WordPress Settings
The first thing to do is to unset the standard WordPress blog page settings. So go to Settings > Reading, and then for the posts page, REMOVE the selection if there is a posts page set.
Why? We offer our own in page settings to help you to easily manage the look of the blog, the number of posts, pagination etc.
Step 2 – Create Blog Page
Go to Pages > Add New:
Now that you’ve checked the WordPress post settings, its time to create your own blog page. Go to pages > Add new, and then title the blog page “Blog” (It can be different if you wish). Add any page content, or a description to the page if necessary, it will be displayed above the posts.
Now you can go over to the right hand side, and in “Page Attributes” select the “Latest Post Types” option for the template.
Step 3 – Select your Layout Options
Now that you have selected the Latest Posts Type page template, scroll down, and again in the right hand sidebar, there will be a section “Latest Posts”. This section will have all the relevant options for your blog page. See details on the options below:
- Select Post Type – Select “Posts” (there are also options for galleries and pages).
- Select Post Category – This is useful for creating category type blog pages. If you want all posts to show leave the selections blank.
- Enable Category Switcher at top – this is the option to have a category menu in the blog. There are 2 options – inline, or a dropdown menu.
- View Type – There are 8 options for various view types. From left to right:
- List View with Text Under – featured image and text under.
- List view no image – this is a text only list view.
- Grid View Text Under – Grid view masonry with the title will be below the image, and option to choose number of columns.
- Post Slider – A slider to display your posts. There will also be 5 slider options show below if selected.
- Big Title – List view with big titles and image on hover.
- Card View 1 – Alternating Images and text (also available with slider option for featured image).
- Card View 2 – Image left and text right (also available with slider option for featured image).
- Pattern – this will create 3 patterns, one image left 2 right, single image and 50/50 split left and right. It uses the featured image and the first images attached to the post.
- Number of Posts – Select how many posts per page available for all options.
- Enable Full View Content – For option 1 list view, this will allow a classic blog view, with all the images and text in a post. If not selected it will be the featured image, and a small excerpt.
- Number of Columns – This will be available for grid views. You can choose how many columns the posts are displayed in between 2-4.
- Slider Type – This option is available when using option 4 post slider.
- Gutter Type – Again this is relevant only for gallery grids. This is the padding around the posts.
- Enable Pagination – Do you want to show more pages for posts, if so, select Yes. No will show only the number of posts you have selected in the number of posts section.
- Use Slider instead of featured image – this option is available for view 6 and 7. The featured image is replaced with a slider of the images inside the post (up to 5).
Step 4 – Select Sidebar if required
Now that you’ve selected the relevant layout options, you can select a sidebar if required. Scroll down to “Layout and Sidebars” again on the right hand side. There are 3 options:
- No Sidebar
- Right Sidebar
- Left Sidebar
Choose your option.
Step 5 – Publish the Page
Now scroll to the top right, publish the page and you can now add it to your menu.
With Como we’ve added some additional page settings that can be applied separately on any page. The options will be available just below the main page content.
Show Page Title
Do you want to display the page title, select “Yes” or “No”
Use Big Title
One of the key features to Como is the option for oversized and large titles. To enable this for the page, select “Yes” for this option.
Enable Widget Area Located before page content
If you have added any widgets in the widget area before page content in Appearance > Widgets you can show them on the page.
Enable Widget Area Located below page content
If you have added any widgets in the widget area below page content in Appearance > Widgets you can show them on the page.